Saturday, June 27, 2009

Piaget, School/"child-led", typical overnight

Piaget's Stages of Cognitive Development
http://sandradodd.com/piaget
I made a page from an unschooling point of view; it's worth knowing but it's not worth making a religion about.

On the page about public school on your own terms, I've added a note (in a box, halfway down on the right). That article is twelve years old, in September, and I wanted to note some changes in my awareness.
http://sandradodd.com/schoolchoice

Typical day (though it was at night)
http://sandradodd.com/day/robynnight

(The photo is Kirby and Marty, in Austin, a few days ago. They are 22 and 20 years old. There's a shadow behind them that looks a little like a dirty halo.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Regarding Piaget and unschooling: I am an unschooling mom of about 10 years getting my doctorate in Free-Choice Science Education. I have found that the work of Vygotsky is much more in line with my unschooling experiences than Piaget. Particularly his "zone of proximal development", Also the work of Barbara Rogoff on "Guided Participation". I do not believe Piaget studied much outside of his culture and his children's styles of learning (I could be wrong and have not read a lot from him). Rogoff really opened my eyes to cultural differences in development and learning.

Sandra Dodd said...

Thanks! You're right, as far as I've read, about Piaget studying mostly his own children, so genetics would've been a factor, too. If their learning skills and intelligence were like his, and so their development had been similar to his and he generalize that...

Still it was better than the nothing that existed before that.

On Vygotsky and Rogoff, If you have links or summaries you'd be willing to let me share on my site, I'd be glad to have them!

My e-mail is Sandra@SandraDodd.com